Mold and Mildew are often associated with each other, and rightly so because they are from the same family of fungi, and both are caused by moisture in an area that does not get proper ventilation. However, there are some major aspects of each that make them different from one another.
Mold is usually a black or greenish color, and is not usually an isolated or localized problem such as a single corner in the bathroom. Mold usually affects a much larger area such as the entire surface of the basement floor. By contrast mildew is usually gray or even white. It mainly only causes irritants to the people who come in contact with it. It is common to see mildew affecting wood cabinets because of its proximity to the kitchen sink.
Some might take mildew lightly if they see that it is present in their home or office building. While it is true that some people would not be affected by mildew, it is not true that mildew does not have any significant effects. Like mold, mildew can cause allergy-like symptoms such as watery eyes, and sneezing. It can cause respiratory problems for children, the elderly, and those with a compromised immune system. People who have respiratory problems such as asthma may also experience difficulty breathing.
To avoid mildew growth in the home keep areas that come in contact with water dry. A dehumidifier is an effective wat to prevent both mold and mildew growth for those who live in a humid environment. If you have mildew or mold growth in your home or office, contact us today for mildew removal services.